As we are all about to open our fast this evening, we reflect on the entire day when we felt weak in body and in faith.
- 10% of Canada’s population has food insecurities
- over 800,000 people are dependant on food banks every month
- since 2008, number of food bank use has increased over 25%
- 1 out of 3 of these people are children and youth
- reasons that bring them to food insecurities include jobs that don’t pay enough (low income families), people with disabilities and old age pensions that don’t cover enough for basic needs.
- lack of support from social programs, causing low self esteem in youth and adults
Reflecting is a key tool in the lives of Muslims, so as we reflect upon our days at work, school, or wherever you spent your day, lets not forget to reflect for those that won’t be able to break their fast due to poverty or food shortages. Some of these people muster enough courage to seek help – and NZF is there to help them. Please continue to support us so we can all work towards alleviating poverty at our doorstep.
The least we can do is make dua for them as we break our fasts. If we don’t help our own neighbours (people in Canada), no one else will. May Allah grant us the ability to help each other and ease each others difficulties to strengthen the ummah, and ultimately, to please Allah. Ameen.
The prophet (SAW) declared, ‘Three men whose dua is never rejected (by Allah) are: when a fasting person breaks fast (in another narration, the fasting person until he breaks his fast), the just ruler and the one who is oppressed.’ [Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi – Hasan]